You ever see those people who look so perfect, polished and wide awake first thing in the morning? Does a little bit of you hate them for it? Yeah, me too. It’s not that they are bad people or are mean, I think it’s just that I wish I were more like them.
So.. This week I decided to try out 10 tips that will hopefully make my mornings even more productive. Especially since at the moment all I manage to get done before I leave for work is just about slump out of bed, have a coffee, eat some breakfast and spend 30 minutes deciding what to wear for the day.
Let’s get started!
- Wake up as soon as your alarm goes off and don’t hit snooze. Or if you struggle to get out of bed even after hitting snooze, put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, this way you’ll have to get up to shut it up!!
- Pick out your outfit for the day the previous evening.
- Create a morning ritual to keep your morning organised, for me this is getting dressed, having a wash, doing my hair, making a daily to do list, having a coffee and then eating breakfast whilst watching Gilmore Girls. If you have a morning ritual then you’re less likely to forget stuff this way too!
- Drink some water. I’m rubbish at doing this but this week I tried to drink at least 1 pint of water first thing.
- Do the task you’re dreading doing the most, first. Maybe it’s having to iron a shirt or make a not or appointment before you head out. Get it out of the way and you’ll feel loads better.
- Don’t spend all your time on your phone. This one’s a given since it’s pretty much said to help everything nowadays.
- Take some time to make yourself breakfast. They always say it’s the most important meal of the day!! (I don’t exactly know who ‘they’ are.. but hey, it’s a good thing to start doing!)
- Wake up to the sun. This is something I started doing a long time ago, partly because my room has slanted ceilings and is generally dark and partly because I’m too lazy to put my blinds up and down every day.. But anyway, I found waking up to natural sunlight very helpful in starting my day.
- Have goals set for the day.
- Fit in some ‘me time’ before you head off to work, or start work if you work at home. What I mean by ‘me time’ is spending time for yourself. This can be anything from sitting down and meditating for a few minutes, playing with a pet to painting your nails; all that matters is that you do something for you.
With any tips and tricks to try out, some will work for you, and others won’t. That’s just life so I completely understand that. With that being said, what worked more me was definitely fitting in a bit of ‘me time’ – which for me was simply writing down one great thing about myself to boost my confidence and picking my outfit for the following day the night before. This saved me at least 30 minutes of time that I can use to either sleep some more or make myself a really good lunch, setting myself up for the day.
What do you do first thing in the morning? I found these tips helpful in fitting more stuff into my mornings and helping me to wake up and get going! What’s your favourite thing to make for breakfast? Let me know and I’ll do a post trying them all out!! Have a great weekend!!