It’s #SelfcareWeek ! And it’s got me thinking, what do we actually think classes as selfcare? For me, I typically start thinking about face masks and bubble baths. And well yes that can be classed as selfcare; but as amazing as those things are, there are hundreds of other things you can do. And over the last few days, I’ve been partaking in a few of these myself.
The thought for this post came to me whilst I was walking home from the gym; it occurred to me that even though I think of lots of luxurious things as self-care, there are lots of small things I do for myself that make me feel good, and these count too.
Here’s a few things I’ve been doing for myself that aren’t always considered self-care:
- Going to the gym, and doing what I want there, if I don’t feel like doing the stair climber today, I just don’t do it and I refuse to feel guilty about it!)
- Buying myself a hot chocolate when walking home after going to the gym.
- Putting on my moisturizer.
- Listening to the Peptalk app (I highly recommend this one for when you’re commuting and walking anywhere, it’s a great motivational tool!)
- Watching videos by Glamour, Ladylike, As/Is and the Try Guys.
- Self Affirmations.
- Watching Nikkietutorials (believe it or not I watch Nikkie’s videos when I’m at the gym and they make me so happy!)
- Cleaning my room.
- Playing with makeup.
- Putting on makeup when I’m not going anywhere!
- Lighting scented candles.
- Having a bubble bath.
- Unfollowing any social media profiles that make me feel bad about myself.
- Watching my favourite films.
- Cooking my favourite food.
- Singing in the shower.
- Talking to friends.
- Finishing work ON TIME.
- Related to the above – not looking at work emails when I’m off work.
- Making myself a great breakfast.
- Painting, drawing and being creative.
- Getting 7/8 hours sleep.
- Wearing thermal socks.
- Using a 99p face mask.
- Chatting to my sister.
- Seeing my Niece and Nephew on FaceTime reeking havoc in my sisters house.
- Driving round to look at Christmas Lights when they go up.
- Making myself a cup of tea.
- Meeting up with friends for a chat/food/movies (basically spending time with the important people in your life)
- Wearing my favourite clothes.
Honestly the list could go on and on. I love selfcare, sometimes I do still feel selfish or guilty for spending time on ourselves, but we really shouldn’t. We’re stuck with ourselves for life so we better take care of that person we see in the mirror.
And at the end of the day, if something makes you happy and feel good, it’s probably your own version of selfcare. We’re all different so it’s impossible to say that one thing will work for everyone; telling someone to go take a bubble bath to relax if they hate having baths is pretty pointless. It’s a personal thing.
Some of the things in my list you might not consider to be selfcare, but for me, they are. Just doing one small thing for yourself a day can make such a difference to your mood and wellbeing. And myself from a year ago would say something along the lines of “I’ll start next week or in the new year”, but that’s not how I think anymore, the time to start is now.
That’s all from me today, I’m off to go get myself a hot chocolate and sit in a blanket with a book. Have a great weekend lovelies! You’re all amazing!
P.S. The UK Blog Awards are now open for voting! It’d mean the world to me if you could vote for me my lovelies!!